Sunday, August 19, 2012

First Show!

The Final Song of the Show!
After nearly five weeks of intense practice we finally had our first show! I couldn't have been more excited for this opportunity, we had been working up to this day for awhile by now. For days now we had been running the whole show through; beginning to end one, two, or even three times a day to makes sure everything was perfect. Everyone had their parts down to a science, they were drilled into our heads. The day of the actual show we went through the show and changed some more things two hours before we put on the actual show! It was all worth it in the end.


The day started with Marguerite and I waking up early like usual but with extra excitement because it was finally 'the day'! You could feel the energy in the air when the cast met up in the morning for a day full of rehearsal and some last minute changes. Nothing could bring us down at this point we were so ready for things to get going! We broke off into groups and worked on some specific things, I got to work on some cast movement because none of the dances I was in needed to be practiced at this moment. It was exciting to practice with the cast and really get the energy going! We were all feeding off of one another and it was hard to get everyone to focus this day, but after a little bit we started to focus on the task at hand!

My dad, Me, Annie Conzemius and her dad
I was especially excited for the performance because my real family from Texas came in to see it. My mom, dad, brother and cousin Andrew all came into town to see the show. This meant so very much to me because I know they always support me in everything that I do, and this was just another time that they showed their love for me. I cannot thank my family enough for their love and support throughout the years!
My mom, Me, Annie Conzemius and her mom





Something that I found to be very exciting was that a lot of people that my parents knew from when they travelled in Up with People were there. It was like mini reunion for a lot of them, and I know it made my parents happy to see all of these people again. My production manager on the road is Paul Conzemius, my mother knew his parents back in the day and so it is pretty exciting that we are traveling together this year.




My parents, Me, and some of the UWP friends

I was so thrilled that I got to meet some of the people that my parents travelled with when they went through this same thing 25 years ago. It was a very nice experience to see all the faces of people that I have heard so much about over the years! I couldn't have had a better first UWP show experience! Everything went perfect for me. I got to do some special dances in the show and it was a wonderful experience to know that our show isn't just entertainment it also is making change at the same time. We send a message in our show to stand up for others, and make a change in the world, don't just sit down and watch, do things to make the world better. We can all do things to help in the world and now is our time to start! I cannot wait to put the show on the road and make an impact on the world! I know this cast has some great potential and we are ready to shine! It is the premiere of the new Up with People show Voices, and we are going to make a change.

Marguerite, Chad, Me, and Chris
The show was a huge success, everyone that saw it said it was very good and that we looked prepared and had a lot of energy. My host family over the past five weeks came to support us in this first show and it was such a joy to hear them tell us how awesome it looked and that we did good. We were surprised at the end of the show by our family who gave us beautiful bouquets of flowers! Chris and Chad were truly amazing people for hosting us for such a long time and supporting us through all the good and the bad times! They were my 'parents' for those five weeks and I can't tell them how much they mean to me and what an impact they made on my life by just opening up their home and hearts to us. They showed me the generosity of people! I love to see how much people are willing to give to others, it is a beautiful thing to witness. I am constantly humbled by what people have given to us while being in UWP.

Nirite and I
Last but not least I wanted to introduce you all to my best friend on the road her name is Nirite and I don't know what I would do without her! She is truly amazing and a lot like me, we get along so well and always have things to talk about... sometimes it't too much though. I enjoy every minute getting to know this wonderful young woman, and know that we will be friends for a lifetime. We have a whole year of traveling this wonderful world together! The friendships you make in UWP are a special kind of thing, they are something more remarkable and more powerful than any relationships I have had before. I couldn't have asked for better people in this cast! We work so well together and put on an amazing first show in Denver, Colorado!!!! The premiere of the show Voices was a huge success!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment